Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace – Race & Gender
Dealing with the heart of Race and Gender Inequality in the Workplace
We’ve wrestled with inclusion for centuries and it’s now at the fore – our world is divided and fractured with inequality highlighted following a global pandemic. In the workplace, there is an expectation that one is able to navigate relationships and teamwork in a diverse and inclusive setting.
This online course is unique in that the topic of race is often addressed as a social justice issue. This course addresses the topic in a way that can bring understanding in the workplace and people together instead of focusing on resentment, white guilt and defensiveness. The course helps you to understand yourself and others better and gives you tools to collaborate more effectively and be more productive in today’s diverse workplace.
Gender inequality and patriarchy have shaped societies and institutions for centuries. This online course looks at gender through first-hand encounters Jesmane Boggenpoel – course instructor – has had as she started her career in corporate finance and investments in a male-dominated environment. It includes practical everyday situations in the workplace where women experience barriers. Its aim is not to castigate or suppress men, but rather to enlighten, inform and enable men and women to work together more productively.
A teaching aid is the book authored by the Jesmane Boggenpoel – course instructor: My Blood Divides and Unites. The book talks about her growing up in apartheid South Africa and how she reframed her story by transforming pain into healing and reconciliation. The book includes 12 global stories (an African American, White American, Mexican American, Indian, Pakistani, Nepalese of Tibetan descent, Armenian, Lebanese, Rwandan etc.). It provides a message to all on reconciliation and the lessons are applicable wherever you are.
Lectures incorporate insights Jesmane obtained from research for her book and many round tables, panels and interviews during her book tour. She is a first-generation professional, and in building her career in corporate finance and private equity, she navigated being the only person of colour on the team or/and the only woman on the team. Jesmane brings her first-hand experiences into the content.
While the content and illustrations focus on race and gender inequality, the principles taught can be applied to any diversity and inclusion scenario.
Each lecture covers a different topic and refers a student to a relevant section from My Blood Divides and Unites for reading. This is followed by reflective questions or activities for students.
This is what you can expect:
- Lessons that tackle a sensitive topic in a relatable and non-confrontational way
- A unique perspective on diversity and inclusion with tools to help you confidently navigate diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Engaging exercises that allow for guided reflection
- 19 workplace scenarios in animation
- Interviews with global thoughts leaders
Lo que aprenderás
- Frame why diversity and inclusion is important
- Be aware of your internal personal barriers to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and how to overcome them. Each topic is aided by reflective questions
- Build authentic relationships with diverse colleagues and work associates in an inclusive manner
- Be better equipped to engage in constructive dialogue in the workplace when difficult conversations arise
- Help your organisation create an enabling environment across races and genders
- Through workplace diversity and inclusion scenarios brought to life by animation, you will gain insight into how to communicate better in a diverse workplace
¿Para quién es este curso?
- A person seeking to connect better with others of a different background (race, gender etc) in the workplace or other form community with a view to improve team impact. Content includes perspectives for a person from either a marginalized or a privileged background.
- Organisation leaders, managers, employees and HR executives seeking an approach to diversity and inclusion training for their staff. Managers seeking to lead their teams better. People wanting to connect better with others of a different racial, indigenous or gender backgrounds in the workplace or other form of community to improve team impact.
- Teaching aid: the book My Blood Divides and Unites on racial reconciliation, healing and inclusion written by the course instructor, Jesmane Boggenpoel. Many lectures in this course have reading assigned extracted from this book
- Optional to keep a “Diversity and Inclusion Journal” (electronic or hard copy). This is to help you journal your diversity and inclusion journey, track your progress and reflect
- The medium of instruction is English
Más cursos del mismo autor: Jesmane Boggenpoel
- Is the price in dollars? A: Yes, it is value is in dollars (USD)
- In what language is it? A: The course is in English
There are no reviews yet.